22nd February 2011
Picture This, FLAMIN (Film London Artists’ Moving Image Network) and Lighthouse present Sea-change, an opportunity for artists to apply to spend July to September 2011 in Bristol developing new moving image work in a unique supportive and creative environment.
Following on from the successful Bristol Mean Time residency, the artist will be invited to produce and exhibit a new project within Picture This' Atelier at Spike Island. In addition, this new work will be premiered in collaboration with Lighthouse at a venue in the South East.
The residency incorporates:
- Access to studio and office space at Picture This in Bristol
- Production, post-production and exhibition technology
- Curatorial and technical mentoring and support
- Accommodation and travel costs provided
- Production budget of up to £4,000
- Artist's Fee of £3,000
- An exhibition of new work from November 2011 (dates tbc)
The resident artist will work closely with Picture This' production team and be provided with a studio within Picture This' Atelier for the duration of their stay. The artist will also have access to production, post-production and exhibition facilities ranging from lighting and hi-definition cameras to a Final Cut edit suite, DVD mastering technology and projectors, screens and play-back equipment. The Atelier is a large 220 metre square unit within Spike Island on the Harbourside in Bristol. The top lit, double height space will be made available for a production slot during the middle of the residency and for the final presentation of the work to the public. The project proposed must be suitable for production within the available budget.
In order to apply for this opportunity candidates must:
- Be an artist resident in London
- Have a track record in working with the moving image
- Demonstrate commitment to their work
- Display innovation and conceptual rigor in working with moving image
- Demonstrate how they will benefit from this residency
You need to propose a project idea suitable for development during the residency. We are looking for:
- Projects that make the most of the production opportunities offered by Picture This.
- Projects that are sufficiently developed to go into production during the residency period
- Innovative projects from artists using moving image as their chosen medium. We are open to receiving applications from artists working in a variety of ways across production presentation and exhibition of moving image including, but not limited to, single screen projection, exploring filmic space and beyond the screen, performative elements/aspects, and new ways of exploring moving image through digital media.
We will be looking for projects that work within the parameters of the resources, spaces and timescale on offer. Applicants are welcome to contact us and discuss the appropriateness of technical aspects of their proposals before applying.
Please note students are not eligible to apply.
Deadline for Completed Applications: 5pm, Monday 11 April 2011
Residency period: 04 July to 16 September 2011
Picture This , Film London Artists' Moving Image Network (FLAMIN), and Lighthouse, present Sea-change, a three month residency for London-based
Award-winning artist Claire Hooper has been selected for FLAMIN's Sea-change programme at Picture This.